Subject: [Leica] Looking like a tourist isn't always best......
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 9:18:36 -0500

I generally don't recommend the stereotypical tourist route as tourists
tend to shoot and run.  Quite often if you invest a few minutes and are
really interested in the people and things you want to photograph.....
they are more than willing to let you take pictures.  You won't always
get the shot you wanted and sometimes they'll refuse.... but with a bit
of persistence... you'll find willing subjects and there are always more
subjects just around the corner..

I've found that there are times when you get more cooperation when people
know you are a photographer.

Some people think it's rather strange that you as a tourist want to take
pictures of them to hang on your wall or in you photo album.... but when
you tell them you are photographer... they are more than willing to allow
you to photograph them.

For some cultural events or festivals here in Ecuador, I pull out my
Domke vest, EOS 1n  with motor and a 70-200 2.8L lens and I have free
reign to get anywhere in the street, past police and event barricades.
People will smile at me and not growl or turn away and I would never get
access to those shots if I looked like a tourist.

On the other hand,  some feel that since you are photographer, you are
going to sell the image and make a lot of money so they might be more
willing to cooperate for a tourist.  On the other hand, they may not like
having their picture taken period.

So..  Sometimes you want to look like a photographer,

Some times you don't.....

Almond joys have nuts....

Mounds don't....

In case you are wondering......I'm suffering from candy withdrawal
again......

Best of light.... and chocolate......  Back to the darkroom......

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

http://members.tripod.com/~Duane_Birkey/index.html