Subject: [Leica] Re: Manual and Autofocus Musings
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:14:23 -0800

B.D.

You wrote:

>>However, dare I question whether you're producing some soft images
because your eyes
aren't what they were when last you used manual focus?<<

I'm extremely fortunate. I still have 20/20 vision. It's strictly a case of
not paying enough attention. For example, I was printing a portrait last
night. It was taken with a 90/2 Summicron. I'm not sure of the aperture,
but I'm guessing the it was taken at f4. The subjects eyes were ok for 5x7.
But they lost a bit in an 11X14. OTOH,the fingernails, which were approx 6
inches closer to the lens, were still tack sharp in the big print. I missed
focus by about 6 inches. I ruled out a mechanical problem. This wasn't a
big deal. Viewed from a normal distance you probably wouldn't notice. It
was more an indictment of my technique.

More to the point, I own some pretty good  lenses. And I'm leaning toward
buying yet another. But it's really somewhat ludicrous if I don't have
excellent technique. Focusing is a big part of that. Most lenses are good
at f8, and focus isn't as critical. I want to develop more skill using the
widest apertures. Ironically, with the same carelessness autofocus could
easily have locked onto the hand, which was at the center of the frame. So
autofocus isn't the answer. It's a matter of awareness and attention to
good technique (which I seem to have lost on more than one occasion). The
nice thing about owning quality equipment is that it should heighten
awareness regarding technique.  If I'm shooting a crappy lens what does it
matter if my point of focus is a little off? IOW, better equipment should
hold us more accountable.

Dave