Subject: [Leica] Re: Summicron 1:2/35 (Canada) & filters
From: "Rob Studdert" <audiob@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:34:41 +1000

On 3 Dec 98, at 23:02, Lucien wrote:

> On  3 Dec 98 at 12:50, Rob Studdert wrote:
>
> > I would like to determine how I may mount filters for
> > B&W photography on my Canadian Summicron 1:2/35 as it
> > doesn't seem to have filter threads?
>
> Rob,
>
> In Lager Volume II Lenses on pages 157 and 158:
>
> 35mm 1:2 SUMMICRON
>
> snip...
> -A little known and seldom encountered group of very early
> third computation lenses occurs just above 2461001
> (ex : 2461275 and 2461800).
> These still have the protuding aperture-control lever
> not normally associated with third computation lenses
> and, incredibly, lack E-39 filter threads.
> When I first encountered this in 1973, I thought
> it was either a joke or someone forgot to cut the threads.
> I appears Leitz attempted to standarize on the 12504 lens hood
> and serie VII filters as used on the 35mm 1:1,4 Summilux.
> Suffice to say, enough complaints were received that Leitz
> went back to E-39 threadings almost immediately
> (the current design retains E-39 threads).
> snip...
>
> Rob,
>
> That's a collector piece.
>
> Lucien

Lucien,

Thanks for the information, given that the lens definitely was produced
without filter threads I am quite sure I know why production numbers were
limited ;-)

My example has quite visible scratches on the front element (probably due to
the lack of a UV filter through it's life - just joking), its serial number is
2462090 and it has the protruding aperture control lever. Some of the black
paint is flaking off the edges but otherwise it is in reasonable condition.

Unfortunately this lens is a user to me but a not a very useful one given the
filter peculiarities.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA