Subject: [Leica] Re: on being inobtrusive
From: dougu@tsf.net (doug ultch)
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 14:54:43 GMT

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998 Ted Grant wrote:

>I know I've made this point before, but if you are taking pictures on the
>street of people doing things, there are all kinds of ways to "making
>oneself invisble" and still capturing satisfying photographs of huamn
>nature at play or work.

After spending the summer trying to be inobtrusive without resorting
to the mentioned ways of consealment....watching my subjects go into a
"postured" mode almost every time I raised the camera to my eye, I
discovered what I now believe is essential to the candid shot. You
simply must not wear the camera strap around your neck! And I don't
mean those wide colorful straps meant to draw attention....even the
narrowest darkest leather strap will produce a menacing glare. By
combining the useful hint of presetting your exposure and hyperfocal
distance AND carrying the camera in your hand you are the least
threatening and therefore the most inobtrusive. This method involves
some risk of dropping the camera but the rewards much outweigh the
risk.....wrap the strap around your wrist if it's a big concern.
Well yes, I've been chased by circus folks and had dogs set after me
but I suspect these objectors were wanted in other states for unknown
crimes.......