Subject: RE: [Leica] Art Wolfe's book
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:21:49 -0500

It's really important in these discussions of photo purity to make clear
what we're trying to be pure about. I will be the first to admit that I see
no difference between scanning and using photoshop to crop, dodge, burn,
enhance contrast, etc., and doing the same thing in the darkroom. How many
of the all time great photos were printed without some darkroom
manipulation? As some one noted earlier, E. Eugene Smith, Patron Saint of
PJs, did a great deal of manipulation - consider, for example, the
incredible photo of the mad woman in the asylum in Haiti - and the fact that
the original photo had several subjects in it and a good deal of detail in a
background that was printed black.

Having said all that, I don't consider cloning elephants, zebras, or
politicians photography - it's photo based illustration.

I'm sure that some will think I'm spliting hairs, but I don't think I am.
There's a world of difference between visualizing a photo and then producing
a print that shows the viewer what you saw, and imagining a scene and using
technology to turn a photo into that scene.

B. D.