Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG Topics & Politics
From: "Robert Farr" <rfarr@voyager.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 00:06:13 -0600

(From Doan huu Phong)

All kidding aside, why do you all think that the LUG is such a
politically oriented (and very verbose) photography group?

===========
and,
===========

(From Jim Brick)

I cannot analyze this, but it seems like those who choose Leica, are also
inclined to articulate whole life philosophies as well as f/stops, world
cultures as well as RF alignment, corporate business philosophies as well as
APO Elmarits.

===========

Could it be that photographers simply become more aware of their
surroundings, physical and political, as a result of pursuing images? I have
found this to be the case, at least in my own situation.

I started with SLR's - macro and nature. But my hobby moved me to other
areas of interest within it, and I now have a M4-P used to seek human
subjects with. As I photograph I've become more attuned to and interested in
the subject's condition & surroundings and the factors - sociological and
political - that have played a role in his or her life. In effect, my
photography has caused me to be more sensitive to the world and conditions
around me in general, and the politics that play a huge role in shaping it.

Have others had this same experience? Does "looking for the right light"
also lead being sensitive to surroundings - and the conditions that created
them - in other ways? Am I nuts?

I hope that political discussions continue here. This is an enormously
diverse group from around the globe, and I live in a rural area without much
exposure to viewpoints that aren't spoon fed from the major networks. I've
learned about much more than just about Leicas here, and I like it!

Welcome back Oddmund... your absence has been a little like loosing one
interesting character from a favorite book. I look forward to reading more
:)

Robert Farr
rfarr@voyager.net