Subject: Re: [Leica] Art Wolfe's book
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 22:42:23 -0600

>I don't think anything's wrong or immoral or nuthin' with digital image
>creation or alteration but if the photograph is used in a documentary sense
>then any digital work ought to be limited to very minor stuff (like getting
>rid of scratches in the emulsion), 'cuz it's far too easy for an unknowing
>person to put an animal in a habitat or context that is totally out of
>character for that animal.

Exactly. Nature photography is documentary work. Documentary implies that
it's recording a representation of what is there. Of course, we know that
photography alters the appearance extensively. It's two-dimensional after
all (at least for now). The third and fourth dimensions are left out,
except in blurred pan pictures. :-)

I don't think we'll ever get to the manipulation thing being more common in
editorial work that "real" stuff. People expect it, and readers are a lot
more sophisticated about this issue than some people realize. I know
because I talk about this subject with people at least three or four times
a week as I go about my job.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.