Subject: Re: [Leica] sneak thief photographers!
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 22:46:17 -0500

Michael Garmisa wrote:

> I would like to hear some the the ways fellow luggers "make themselves
> invisible".  I think that the most important factor is to know the area you
> are shooting in.  This allows you to move around without thinking about
> where you are going this makes it seem like you belong there.  Also when I
> know the area I am a lot less apprehensive about taking out my equipment.
> I'd like to hear how others make themselves invisible as I think I probably
> have a lot to learn on the subject.
> --
> Michael Garmisa <elmar@nyct.net>

When I'm working invisibly I generally wear black, dark or bland colors;
sometimes just khaki. I try to carry just one camera or if I have two
one is on my shoulder usually under an overcoat. I try not to carry a
bag.

I don't move fast or have jerky or furtive movements when I'm standing
photographing someone. The exposure is preset, having been set in
similar lighting conditions. Or I set and fine tune it by experience.
You can count the number of clicks on the aperture ring or shutter dial
from a known reference point. That 1/50th sec. comes in handy as a way
to tell where the shutter is set just by feel.

I usually keep my hands lightly clasped around the body while it is on
my chest to help break up its lines. This also allows me to constantly
adjust focus or exposure as I move. With my 35 Summicron I know by feel
of the focusing tab when it is at 4 feet, 6 feet or 10 feet so I can
guesstimate focus before the camera comes to my eye.

When I bring it up I already know how the scene will be framed based on
the lens I'm using. Therefore the camera isn't lingering in front of my
face for long. It's up, I impose the framelines to meet the image I've
already made in my mind, the shutter is released and the camera is
already returning to its rest position. I don't crop my negatives
either. This, by the way, is the opposite of my commercial work which is
very constructed and methodically lit and composed.

I've found Eugene Herrigel's "Zen in the Art of Archery" to be a very
helpful book in realizing and developing some of these techniques.

Carl Socolow

p.s. I don't in any way think of this as sneaking or thieving as the
subject header indicates.