Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing people in public
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:14:38 +0000

You had better luck than I had in the Red Light district.  I went there
many times during my year in the Netherlands and found it a very difficult
scene to capture on film, nothwithstanding my efforts to remain
inconspicuous.  Tourists weren't a problem, but the flowing life of the
place is camera shy--perhaps understandably so.  I toyed with various
schemes to acquire stealth photographs, but finally, I suppose, I stand
with Ted's earlier post.  A few weeks ago, I tried to photograph an
extraordinary head of red hair in a So Ho flea market.  Just wanted the
hair.  The subject turned as I depressed the shutter, glared, and
instructed her boyfriend to beat me up.

There're some advantages to my 6'4" height, though inconspicuousness isn't
one of them.

Was shooting at night with a Noctilux; the glare itself would make a
wonderful image, but the bloody depth of field was too shallow.

Ah, art . . .

Chandos