Subject: [Leica] Art Wolfe's book
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:12:01 +0000

- --------------DCACF41FCA128839370FB771

Sorry, I messed up the attribution of a quote in that last post.
Apologies to Donal, and here's the corrected version:

Donal Philby wrote:
> I recommend "Light on the Land" by Art Wolf.  All 35mm.  He shows what
> is possible with landscape when light and content dominate.  Much of
> book shot with 200-400 zoom--an unlikely landscape lens.  His latest
> book on the Pac Northwest is a stunner too, but more of a pretty picture
> travel book.  Light on the Land is a book of art, that will show you
> just how much more there is to see.

I used to be a big Art Wolfe fan, until I read a piece by Kenneth Brower
in the _Atlantic Monthly_, which described some of the digital image
manipulation techniques that he'd used to produce his book _Migrations_.
These were not interpretive changes as might be done in conventional
darkroom work, but significant alterations made in the content and form
of the images - 'cloning' of zebras and the like. Wolfe was unrepentant,
saying that he's bound by artistic standards and not journalistic ones.

I say that an artist's job is the same as a journalist's: to tell
the truth as best he or she can. I can no longer look at Wolfe's
work without wondering, and for me that means that I can no longer
look at his work with wonder.

- -Alexey
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com