Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R 180mm lens
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 12:55:38 -0600

>To Leica users like Eric Welch who have experience with both Nikon and
>Leica, how does it compare to the AF Nikkors 80-200 f2.8D and 180 f2.8D?

Not sure exactly how the 180 f/4 works, but they say it's quite similar to
the 180 Elmarit, just without the last stop. And as far as I'm concerned,
the 180 Elmarit is a very good lens. In fact, at closer focusing distances,
it's a bit better than the 180 Apo Telyt f/3.4. The new 180 Apo Elamarit is
better than any of the others.

As for how it compares to the Nikkors. That's a tough one. Sharpness isn't
a significant difference, but the Leica "3 dimensionality" is there. Color
is superb, and handling is a pleasure. The Elmar has the advantage of being
smaller and lighter.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Time is the best teacher; Unfortunately it kills all its students