Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V4 #100
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:06:29 -0600 (CST)

Hello, Alexey
I ABSOLUTELY concur with your tests r.e. RFDR vs SLR......
I get the equivalent of 2 "stops" worth of "low light sharp
exposures" using my Ms vs my Nikons, etc.  The RFDRs (Leica,
Canon, Nikon, Contax) have ALWAYS given me the edge in sharpness,
due to body design.  However, when comparing apples to apples,
slrs OR rfdrs, I have never known one to see/identify the
differences reliably.  I'm talking 50 lens to 50 lens, brand
to brand, hand held shooting with real-world films (RDP, EPP,
etc.
In fact, if I had to give the "edge" to one, it's the mid
50s contax IIIa with 50 Zeiss!!!
No, I don't have the new ASPH 35 to test.....I assume, with
a controlled test, tripod, tech pan, looking at negs wide open
at the edge with 50x microscope, etc.  the new lens(es) would
win!.......but that's not how we use 35mm cameras!  I was referring
to a page of varied slides shot with various cameras/lenses, normal
photography, hand held, various stops/speeds, on a light table
with a peak lupe, etc.  AS A Photo editor would see them......
that's why my non-Leica friends look at me, roll their eyes,
and shake their head!!
Well< i've done it again, started a conversation I said I wasn't
going to have again......
Best to all,
Walt

On