Subject: Re: [Leica] Why R sales down...
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:20:20 -0800

B. D. Colen wrote:
> ...It might well be argued that the only reason Leica survives in the
> photographic realm is that it does continue to produce an anachronistic
> product - the M - but a product that enough customers highly value and are
> willing to pay a premium to obtain.

I must say I get real tired of these sentiments.  Hasselblad doesn't
have AF, but still sells, even the 500 series.  So does Linhof, Sinar,
Toyo, Cambo and many other "anachronistic" cameras that don't have AF,
AE, motor drive, even metering at all.  Then there is Pentax 67.  How
many Sinar P2 compuwizard $35,000 cameras do you think get bought each
year?  Anachronistic?  Is a dump truck an anachronism?  No, it is a tool
that works for the job it has to do.  Just try to sign your paycheck
with a Pentium computer!  Nope, ya' gotta use an anachronistic ball
point pen.

You can buy an air compressor, a hose, a nail gun and drive a whole
bunch of nails.  But mostly a simple hammer is the elegant tool for the
job.

donal
- --
Donal Philby