Subject: Re: [Leica] Why R sales down...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 08:18:55 -0600

>A switch to Varta
>"Photo" grade batteries got the device running fine.

People are so ready to run down Leica (R and M) that they will say a lot of
things about it from behind the counter. Why? Among other reasons, Ricoh
gives them a better kickback for selling their stuff (higher profit margin)
than Leica or any other manufacturer. At least in the camera store I worked
in for two weeks they did. It's just easier to sell Nikon and Canon than
Ricoh, or we'd see more of those on the market.

So they have no vested interest, too often, in the photographers wants and
needs, but in their own profit. Capitalism is amoral. It's amazing Leica
survives at all considering it's never going to be profitable as a company
that makes essentially disposable cameras in comparison.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

After all is said and done, usually more is said.