Subject: [Leica] Leica's Development and Management
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 05:02:28 -0500

Bill Erfurth Asked
 "
If Leica is doing so well and has all of these great products, why do
I see all of those Nikons and Canons and few if any Leicas on the
street?"

In every market there is a range of price and quality available. This is
not unique to cameras. The increase in quality is usually at the price of
an exponential cost increase. Each consumer will at some stage get to a
point where the increase in quality is either more than they can afford or
to a point where they can not tell the difference in quality themselves.
These limits are different for each individual.

Some people have particular hobbies or interests where they indulge
themselves. This is the case whether it is a Porsche, Leica, Goldmund
stereo or whatever. There are more Nikons than Leicas, more Lexus (s ii ??)
than Mercedes, more Sony than Goldmund etc. etc.. Why be surprised?

Mercedes have tried recently to increase marketshare by going downmarket.
The investment needed was huge. We do not yet know whether there will be a
payback. Canon are said to make very little profit from up market models.
Olympus have abandoned this market for P&S and are doing well.
Could or should Leica do something similar? Could they raise the capital? I
imagine they know better than I. I just hope they do not do something rash
and go bust. I would hate there to be no more new traditional Ms. I have
many choices for my P&S, reflex and medium format requirements, including
Leica. If they jeapordised their future I for one would miss the M.

""The quick solution to Leica's problem ......""

what problem is this?

""And while we are talking about marketing, Why doesn't Leica introduce
a "European delivery program". ""

Now that would make an M6 look REALLY expensive.

Why do we want Leica to follow other dissimilar companies?
Cheers Frank