Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:28:04 -0600 (CST)

Sorry, Nigel, but you seem to have a superb command of the
language as does most of the free world.  No sympathy here.
I don't know what continent you hail from, but you must
not have a T.V. if my comments offend you.  The young people
most likely to be functionally illiterate in English, unfortunately,
seem to be our own recent generations in the US.

You were not attacked.  I don't know who or what you are, except
that you profess to have owned and used extensively most of the
Leica/Leitz products produced since WW-II.

Every single time someone compares a Hexar or that damn Contax
to a Leica or Nikon SP or Canon, my response is and will be
exactly the same, on or off the internet.

The world needs a rangefinder system.  That means a body with
shutter speeds, f-stops, focus.   Perhaps electronically timed,
perhaps aperture priorty AE.  Preferably M-mount, for obvious
reasons. (this assumes that they can fight off Leica's attorneys--
I believe a major player can).  The only reason Leica has survived
with OUTRAGEOUS prices and poor quality control and poorer repair
and ABSURD marketing......etc..........IS that there isn't a
competitor.  The reason Nikon didn't kick their ass....er excuse
me "bum"......longer than they did with the SP is because they
discontinued it.  They underestimated the desirability of a
rangefinder system to supplement the then-hotrod Nikon F.

Body for $699. 21mm, 28, 35, 50, 90 for $399 each.  Finders
for all exc 21 built in.  min. focus 3 feet, and you can do away
with parallax compensation below 50 mm.  It'll sell like hell.

But keep the auto, unreliable crap out of it.  I'm talking
k-1000 rfdr camera system here.

Enough babble. This group was nasty as hell before I started
posting.  I just enjoy/add to it.
Thanks, and no, Nigel I won't apologize again, before or after
my post.  Grow up.

Walt