Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 19:48:24 -0600

>I wonder why there are these differences in photographic culture.

One reason for the way many newspapers go is that photographers are not in
charge of their own destinies. Word people make the decisions. They drop
assignments on them at the last minute, thus the only way out of making a
truthful picture is to do a portrait, because to do anything else would be
set-up - thus deceptive to the reader. Photojournalists are some of the
most honest people I know, with extremely high standards. That's because
once our credibility is gone, that's is.

And I know of lots of horror stories where that's not true. You won't find
any more of them than on the National Press Photographer's List. We try to
police our own profession, and to help each other out. But the bottom line
is that word people, who are in control, are not committed to the high
standards we want to live up to. And they have the power. Thus, so many of
the inane newspapers that are gray, ugly, and uninspiring in their photo
report.

Not here. We have the highest standards we can imagine. And I will fire a
photographer who would subvert those standards. And they are aware of that
and in agreement. It means more work, and better planning, but it's worth it.

Then, after all that, if they were all to use Leica, well, I don't think it
would make much difference. But they might be happier because they'd have
such user-friendly cameras. :-) (Just to stay on topic).
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

They don't let my code go into shipping products," Bill Gates said. "They
haven't done that for eight years.