Subject: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Carsten Bockermann <Carsten_Bockermann@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 01:34:00 -0500

Eric,

>>I've seen people who work for national magazines who couldn't hold a
candle
>>to Charlie Riedel who works for a small paper in the middle of Kansas.

when I lived in South Carolina in 96 I realized that there are small or
medium US papers ('The State', for instance) that run some very good
photographs. They reached a level that I´ve never found in daily papers
here in Germany. IMHO the most newspaper shots here simply show the
subjects as what they are; photogs seem to have very little interest in
working with light or generally to achieve an aesthetic quality.
I wonder why there are these differences in photographic culture.

Carsten

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Carsten_Bockermann/