Subject: Re: [Leica] Amateur vs. Pro
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 19:47:20 -0800

budcook@ibm.net wrote:

> The only person I have to satisfy is myself and I'm still trying to do it.

Bud, you are right.  Even as a pro, the best stuff, the stuff I care
about has been done in amateur status:  self assignment or just out
looking.  Most great pix have been taken in amateur state of mind--doing
it because we enjoy it.

This afternoon I have been reading/viewing the book Ernst Haas Color
Photography.  In it is a letter to John Morris, then director of Magnum:

"I for myself don't even think I am a photographer.  I am not even proud
to be one if it means what it means now.

"If it means that one is able to do what one is assigned to, I am not a
photographer and I am not even interested to be one. It is a pity, but
for what I want to be we don't even have a name yet.  Call it a
subjective interpreter, call it all kinds of names and you won't find
the right one.  I am also not interested in finding a name. The great
mistake we do is trying to compete with the others...

"You know as well that nobody can be imaginative without being inspired.
That nobody can touch with pictures without being touched by himself
taking them.  I can only do a good job if I am full of enthusiasm--if
this last important word is missing I am so "bad" as a so-cAlled
photographer, that I even don't need a competition to know it."

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com