Subject: Re: [Leica] 75 Summilux-M
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 15:56:20 EST

I've been hearing so much about this lens that I am seriously considering
obtaining one.  I'd always considered it too long for a standard and too
short for a tele, but now I'm looking from another perspective, which is
that it might actually be the most economical way to have a super-fast M
lens for occasional low-light work,  as opposed to both a 50/1.4 and 90/2
(I currently own only 50/2 and 90/2.8).  I'm searching for a second-hand
one in my travels, but until I find one to try out I'd appreciate some
feedback from anyone who has used this lens extensively... just a few
specific questions:

Performance wide-open vs. the current 90 Summicron (both lenses date from
1980)...does the 75 have the same low-contrast, slightly-soft rendition @
"portrait" distances?

Flare.  How does it handle point-sources such as ceiling floodlights in
theatres?

Focussing.  I'll be using mine on 0,72 viewfinder (which was the only
type available with 75 framelines for 17 years, so Leica must have felt
it was up to the task?) But has anyone who uses this lens on a 0,72 found
it difficult to get sharp focus @ f/1.4 in the 1m-5m range?

Handling.  What is the slowest handheld shutter speed you find
practicable with this lens to obtain acceptibly sharp images?  Also, do
you find that having the lower right 1/4 of the frame obsured by the
lenshood presents an infuriating problem?

Lastly,  Eric mentioned a savings of $1000 by buying second-hand.  The
least price for a used version in Mint to Mint- condition which I've been
able to obtain from any of the well-reputed dealers mentioned frequently
on the LUG is US$1699 compared to a new German version at US$2295.  Even
$600 is a lot of money if the 2 versions perform identically.   Is there
*any* advantage (beside a 40g weight decrease) to the new version?  If
not, does anyone know what's missing from the new one that cut the
weight?

Thanks so much.
Nigel

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]