Subject: [Leica] In lightmeter we trust
From: "capitaine francky" <francky@fluid.claranet.fr>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 14:07:54 +0000

Hi lugers
Owner of a M5, I recently (leica disease) buy a mint M2 ,
no lightmeter inside... it change my way of photographing
In the beginning, when was taking just the M2, i was perturbed : too
dependent of my Lunasix, looking more at the metering than at the subject of
photography....(i mostly doing street pictures, i miss some).
For couple of weeks i 've tried to willingly forget my lightmeter at home
(tri-x 400 and modern BW neg have a so good tolerance ) feeling the lights
and trust myself.
May be i 'm in a mistaking, it's just a personnal point of view, but i think
that by this wayi'm more in my photography: "feeling the light as much as
the subject"... more engagement, i was feeling more implicated in my
pictures...(like in my painting work)
I'm not reactionnary, i'm 29 years old, i live in 1998, i'm using all kind
cameras ( nikon SLR, blad system,video etc...) but i mainly use leica Ms and
his "engagement"
The term of "engagement" is for me, associated to leica M :
Because except for the high quality of Leitz optics (a really good reason to
be a M user) and the collectible value  attraction (leica  Ms are, above
all, tools to make photography), i think that coming in a leica M system is
a "engagement" : (expensive (but top quality..okay), goodbye AF, goodbye
hightech algorythm of metering,  no "Canikonics" specials program and other
futuristic features...) the M6 TTL seems to be the last  improvement in M
system...and so controversial
finaly, going back to the roots was beneficial to me, it help me to be more
"sensitiv", to sense the things, not necessarily be "hanged" at a computer,
"just try and be able", like said recently another luger...

to see my stuff (i recently updated it with a new page)
http://home.claranet.fr/fluid/photos.html