Subject: [Leica] Lens cleaning
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:47:11 -0700

>>Well said!!!! It's amazing how many LUGNUTS don't seem to understand that
the front element of their lens can handle the hardest rubbing with a soft
cloth or chamois that one can imagine.

Hold the phone.... this is bad advice to suggest to anyone. They start
hearing that the lens will take this abuse, they will try it and with
disastrous results. The fact of the matter is that although the surface is
tough, it is still a coating that can be damaged. If some "Tech" tried this
with my lens I would raise the dead. Clearly, it shows the person is not
careful. So, people...forget these anecdotal stories and use care when
cleaning the lens, regardless of the make. Don't rub the hell out of your
front elements.

RM