Subject: Re: [Leica] How you can give your image that professional touch
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 07:51:56 -0600

>Maybe it is arrogance, a disdane for those who actually use the
>equipment on a daily basis like (gasp!) tools.

Donal,

They very much like to use the Pro angle in their ads at times. And they
especially like to appeal to photojournalists, since that is a good market
for the M camera. You would be amazed at how many these days are using
Leicas. Pay at the big papers is pretty good. (Not great, I might add
compared to other parts of the photo industry).

It depends on where they place their ads on what approach they take. They
used to advertise in the NPPA's News Photographer magazine. Until some
politically correct know-it-alls took them to task for using a photo of a
woman with some cleavage. Cries of "sexist" were everywhere. Like for what
the magazine pays, Leica's going to rewrite their ad to be photojournalism
specific? I don't think so. I suspect the editors of that magazine don't
court Leica any more. They ought to. Nikon just dropped co-op ads for NPPA
regional publications. Canon is still going strong. Guess whose #1 in
growth in pro circles now?
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My computer's sick. I think my modem is a carrier.