Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: uninspired Leica ads
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:56:49 -0600

At 08:15 AM 11/24/98 -0600, you wrote:

>the true believers, BUT keep the older f2-2.8 designs AND LOWER THE DAMN LENS
>PRICES!!!  Quit designing them years ago, but still they're absurdly priced.

Production capacity. They are maxing it out right now with their Aspheric
elements. They have to kill lenses to make new ones. Size of the company,
which is a conscious choice they made a long time ago.

>For those who remember using Nikon in the late seventies, they had an
>across the board PRICE CUT on common lenses.  This, plus the cheaper (FT3,FM)

So did Leica earlier this year on some lenses and bodies. The R8 is easy to
get at much less than it was originally selling. The new M6TTL is lower
than what the M6 was selling for 5 years ago. So why hasn't Nikon and Canon
dropped the prices on their cameras and lenses recently when the yen
dropped against the dollar? (In the US).
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The world's full of apathy, and I don't care.