Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames and technique
From: pchefurka@plaintree.com
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 98 13:33:11 -0500

This discussion of Nikkors is getting more than a little off
topic, but when has that ever stopped us? I'd like to throw in my
nickel's worth while the pot's still boiling.

I recently traded in a bunch of Nikkors to finance the purchase
of a 35 Summicron ASPH.  The ones I kept were the 55/2.8 Micro,
the 180 AF and my wife's favorite, the 85/2.0.  The comment I
want to make is about the 55's bokeh.

Now, I really like this lens.  It's handy, sharp and contrasty.
But the bokeh sucks.  I'm sitting here looking at a hand-held
portrait of a dragonfly, blown up to 16x20.  The sharp bits are
incredibly sharp. The contrast is Clintonesque (i.e.
unimpeachable).  The photo overall is one of my best.  But there
is a problem when you look closely at the image. All those tiny
veins in the dragonfly's wings start off perfectly sharp. Then,
as they go out of focus, each line splits in two, forming a web
of doubled lines that increases in spacing as the wing goes
further out of the plane of focus.  It's classic "ni-sen bokeh"
as described in the seminal PT article.

A similar effect shows up in a shot my wife took of me in the
woods, with small sun-dapple highlights in the background.  Each
highlight is doughnut-shaped, as if she'd used a 55mm mirror
lens.

From a distance, or to the uninitiated, these effects are
minimal, or not important.  But once you know they're there, they
are hard to ignore (like so much in life :-)

The 180 shows no such tendency.  Nor, of course, do any of the
Leica lenses I've owned so far.