Subject: Re: [Leica] R:Retrofit lightmeter for M1-2-3-4?
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:25:53 +0100

guido ridoli wrote:

> HORROR HORROR
> :-) :-)
>
> the only way to install light meters in pre-M6 is
> to read some Ansel Adams books about incident
> metering.....
> Try incident metering you will wonder about
> results.
> And if you really can't use an external meter like
> Gossen or Sekonic
> why don't you use the Leicameter on your cameras?

I use a Weston Euromaster with Invercone which I had recalibrated a year
or two ago. I've brought it out of semi-retirement this week as I'm out
and about with my new Kiev 4 to test out the highly-recommended by Marc
Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5. Beautiful winter weather - show on ground, hard
frost and clear blue skies.

But I'm missing the M6's internal meter. I used to have a Leicameter
perched atop my M2, but wasn't really happy with it. I've been an adapt
of The Master for many years, having brought my photography up to a
reasonable technical standard by reading "The Camera", "The Negative"
and "The Print". Ansel Adams has been a hero of mine since he was alive.
(I remember those bleak weeks in spring 1984 when in the space of a few
weeks, Ansel Adams, Count Basie and Sir John Betjeman all died.)

No, for my style of snapping (street and landscape) I need rapid access
to basic exposure info from which I can take a mental decision as to
compensation to give the results I want.

But surely, mechanically, it is do-able??