Subject: [Leica] auto vs. manual
From: "William H. Cassing" <wcassing@elkgrove.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:26:31 -0800

Gary D. Whalen asked:

>    1.  How quick is AF?
 >   2.  Aren't there a lot of false focusing mistakes (ie  autofocusing
>on the wrong point of interest) that you wouldn't have with manual?
 >   and 3.  If you use AF what percentage of the time do you use
>the camera in manual?

Gary,

Until switching to an M6, I used Nikon and Canon AF equipment extensively.
In answer to your questions:

1.  Newer AF systems are very fast.  The difference between Nikon F4 AF and
that of the F5 and N90s is dramatic.  If you go to AF get a newer system.

2.  If you try to use AF on close flying birds against the sky, you're going
to have to be very good to avoid having a lot of shots focused at infinity,
and you're going to have to use manual exposure (or AE lock) to expose the
birds properly.

3.  I eventually was using MF 80-90% of the time.  I was doing a lot of low
light photography, and even the best of cameras are fooled (both AF and AE)
easily.

A friend of mine, a pro photographer, once remarked that AF and AE are for
those who are really bad or really good.  I'm not too sure I agree with him
totally, but he has an interesting point.

Good luck with your decision.

Bill Cassing