Subject: Re: [Leica] russian lenses
From: Mike Dembinski <mdembin@it.com.pl>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 23:05:45 +0200

>I too am perhaps interested in a less expensive but sharp and reliable
>lens for my     IIIf.
>Do you have a 90mm lens available or know where I might find one? What
>other options might you have?
>
>Please respond directly and I hope that since you included both you
>phone and fax number in your post that this (an email) is still ok for
>an initial contact.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Donald Seney

90 no but 85 f/2 yes - the Jupiter-9. Usual caveat as per all Soviet/post
Soviet lenses: You may happen upon a Star, you may happen upon a dog. My
experience with the Jupiter-9 was *not* fortunate. I bought it from the
official USSR photooptical exporter to Britain and found the thing to be
totally lacking in contrast and sharpness. Completely unsuitable for b&w
work.

The reason Soviet lenses are 10 - 20 times cheaper than Leitz lenses (here
in Poland at least) is because you need to buy 10-20 before stumbling upon
one that gives you excellent quality. In other words, inconstistancy is
their let down.

I just bought three Soviet lenses today; I'll post next week to reveal if
I've found a winner here.

Happy hunting!

Mike