Subject: [Leica] R4MOT: Light-Struck Film
From: "Jack F. Matlock" <jfmatlo@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 23:40:55 -0500

Bob Bedwell wrote re an R4MOT:

"Upon opening the back I noticed that the foam material that
surrounds the
window that allows you to identify the film is gone.  There is a
sticky
residue where the foam material was.   Also, I noticed that
there is a sticky
residue around the edge and hinge area of the back.  It appears
that there may
have been some type of material in those tracks as well."

Bob:  I had exactly the same problem with an R4 (except the back
was a DB2).  My local Leica dealer fixed it in a couple of days
for (if memory serves) something like $40.00.  It is important
to get the remains of the gaskets cleaned out properly because
otherwise they can get into the camera works and gum it up.
 Assuming that hasn't happened yet, the "fix" is a simple one of
replacing the gaskets.

Jack