Subject: [Leica] [Fwd: Re: Testing Film Speed / California Coast Trip]
From: Ron & Beelian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 11:11:04 -0800

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:34:18 -0800
From: Ron & Beelian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Testing Film Speed / California Coast Trip

Dear LUG family,

How does one test a film for its effective speed. Erwin has informed us
test results for some film, but I'd like an idea how to go through it
once so I know how to do it for other films?  How would you conduct such
a test?

Thanks in advance

** OFF TOPIC and note to friends who have helped in the past **

I'd like to say its nice to be back on the LUG again. Just came back
from a 9-day trip to Napa, Point Reyes, Carmel/Monterey, Point Lobos and
Big Sur in california. Just gorgeous (thanks for the tips guys/gals)! We
came back with 2 cases of wine and 12 rolls of film! Didnt get a chance
to visit Cuvaison (Napa) or Ridge (Cupertino) but per a friend's
recommendation, tried Silver Oak Cellars Cab. Sauv. The 1996 is truly a
gem even right from the barrel.

Other gems: Never in my short 7-month photog life did I imagine that I
could capture beautiful light!  Off the Muir headlands near San
Francisco Golden Gate Bridge, I saw a dazzling image of the sun bullying
its way through the thick fog bank and spotlighting the ocean in
sections. My M6 and EliteII 200 captured its magical and mysterious mood
quite well.

A slight disappointment was the very thick fog bank around Point Reyes.
No lighthouse visits. In the Limantour beach area, birdwatchers abound
with their scopeviewers for migratory ducks and egrets. Did i feel
inadequate with a 35mm lens.

Joe C.: Sadly could not make it for the Santa Clara Photo Fair while en
route to Santa Cruz.

Eric C.: Didnt get a chance to see the glass studios in Santa Cruz as we
were pressed for time, making the run from Point Reyes at 12noon down to
S.C. that evening but did see the Natural Bridge State Beach the next
morning with thundering waves crashing along the coast.

Next stop Monterey/Carmel: A bonus was discovering a vintage car show
that weekend (Nov 6-8) at Laguna Seca near Monterey. Also did the
Pacific Grove heritage home self-tour and ended the day with Carmel's
17mile drive to see Sea Lion Rock and the Lone Cypress view.

And Jim B: The highlight of our trip was Point Lobos! Man!, what a place
for photographing rocky landscape, gnarly trees perched over the cliff
edge, waves, monarch butterflies, seabirds, and deer. We plan to return
just for that to finish the other half of the trails.  Too bad our
Labrador pup was not allowed in the area so we toured Pt. Lobos for only
4 hours one day, and 2 hours the next day.

Also on B&W developing: it has gotten easier and am starting to shoot so
that I have at least two rolls of same film to develop each time. Cuts
down on time. Only problem so far is when I got back from my trip, I was
distracted or laxed and processed two rolls for an incorrect duration. 1
minute overprocessed!!  Then in my excitement having tried testing for
effective speed, I botched a newly exposed rol of Delta 100 by opening
up the lid before rewinding the film back into the canister!! Aargh!

Comments and suggestions are welcomed!
That's all for now.
Bee lian