Subject: [Leica] Why I add NO ARCHIVE to my posts
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 00:35:17 -0500

Here is the reason I add the obnoxious "NO ARCHIVE" to my posts.
Occasionally I search for my last name in various search engines to see how
often my name appears in web sites other then my own.  Lately when I do
this I get literaly hundreds of return hits, the vast majority of them from
posts I have made to various mailing lists.  Once these get into the
databases of Alta Vista, Infoquest, etc., they are impossible to remove,
and remain probably forever.  It is simply a nuisance.  See how easy it was
for someone to look up Eric's posts to the Nikon Digest made ages ago.

The other reason is more a matter of principle.  The posts I make to the
LUG are my property.  There is an obvious understanding that they will be
distributed to fellow LUGers in the form of real time distribution and/or
digests, but I see no reason why third parties have the right to get
involved and publish my posts willy nilly, without my knowledge or
permission.  As I said, this is more a matter of principle, and I'm not
certain what legal rights I actualy have, nor am I certain that I wish to
enforce them.

The main reason is the nuisance factor.

Dan C.