Subject: [Leica] Darkroom Setup
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:47:21 -0600

Dear Mark,

I have used Leica Focomat 1C enlargers for years, and can recommend them for
the most critical work.  Besides their quality, they provide autofocus from
2X to 10X, which is a great convenience.  However, if I were starting out
new, like you, I would recommend the Leica V35 enlarger.  I am now
considering a move up to this enlarger for the same reasons I think you
should be aware of.  The reasons are:

1.	Modern films and development times are designed for diffusion
enlarger light sources.  In order to develop my films to a density
appropriate for the Focomat 1C enlarger, which has a condenser light source,
I must increase exposure film time and reduce development time.  This
results in a reduction of film speed that is unacceptable for most
photography.  This is not needed for the V35 enlarger which has the
diffusion light source.  In addition, the light bulb for the V35 is a
quartz/halogen type, which will not change in color over its life.  You can,
of course, adapt a diffusion light source to the 1C.  An example if the
Walner  color head.

2.	The V35 is autofocus from 2X  (I think) to 16X with the 40mm f2.8
Focotar lens, which is standard equipment.   Ah, the lens.  The 40mm f2.8
Focotar and the 50mm f4.5 Focotar-2 lenses are still the best available
enlarger lenses.

3.	The V35 has interchangeable filter modules for multi graded papers,
graded papers, and color papers.

4.	All of the Leica enlargers with the exception of the IIC Focomat
enlargers and their predecessors, are designed for 35mm and smaller
negatives.  This makes for ease of use and higher quality.

5.	If you want to graduate to color photography, which is what I am
planning for the winter, you need the convenience of a diffusion light
source and the convenience of a dichroic filter system.  The V35 has these
capabilities.

6.	The V35 enlarger is available only on the used market since Leica
has opted, unfortunately, to discontinue making enlargers.  The good news is
that  it is readily available and the price  is not unreasonable.   If you
opt to sell it in the future, you will not take financial loss since it will
sell for what you pad for it - unless digital becomes competitive in the
amateur market.

If you buy one of these enlargers, make sure it has a negative carrier and
that the lens is not hazy.   In addition the Focomat enlargers require a
Leica enlarger lens and, in the case of the 1C models, a 25mm thick easel ,
for the autofocus to wok.

You will enjoy the process of making your own prints.  It is about the most
enjoyable part of photography for me.

 Ferrel Anderson