Subject: RE: [Leica] M to reflex adapter
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:28:31 -0000

Carsten,
I too had a fish-eye lens adapted to M-fit and made my own finder from a
security door viewer. Check out the various options, some are 120 / 150 /
180 degrees in scope, some offer much easier viewing through larger entrance
pupils.
Then saw off as much of the mounting tube that you don't need and establish
a way of attaching that to an accessory shoe. I found an old cheap
nondescript accessory finder which consisted of a short metal tube filled
with its lenses, I took the lenses out and screwed the 180 degree viewer
into the tube.
You can finally mask (paint?) the front of the viewer with the remains of
your black insulation tape (left over from covering your red dots) so that
it shows a 2:3 rectangle.
Then you have to establish how well that correlates with the image in the
camera. Take the M back off and place some thin ground glass, an old
focussing screen or some tracing paper over the film gate, mount the camera
on a tripod and open the shutter on B and lock it there. Now compare the two
views (through the finder and on the screen) and do what you can with the
finder to make the field of view as similar as possible.
Of course this is something you could again throw out to a competent repair
mechanic, but that will cost...

Jem