Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:08:22 -0600 (CST)

Hello, Jim and group

I am getting a kick out of the filter thread.  I posted my
"sometimes" answer a while back, which means I'm wishy-washy
on the  subject.

I, of course, stirred up a few folks with my "real" i.e. "M"
Leica jab (I still don't like R cameras - too much electronics
for me -- but I admit that the mechanical construction of the
lenses is superb -- too bad they don't fit an "F" - "F2" body....

I read with interest the ideas that folks use Leicas for
their image quality.  I have NO problem with their image quality --
BUT  nor do I have a problem with Nikon/others in this regard.

Lets look at some things objectively -- my opinion, yes, but
substantiated by MANY others:

1950s lenses by Leica --
Optically slightly behind the competition, when new.  (except
the 50 summicron -- )  Mechanically fine.  Most exhibit MANY
more optical problems than Nikon/Canon of the same vintage
(haze, soft glass/coating/cleaning damage that DIDN"T seem
to affect Nikon/Canon)
1960s:
Optically on par-- Leica's best equalled Nikon's best, neither
seemed to have dogs by this time -- the 50 'cron and the 90
Elmarit hold their own against the 50 nikkor and 105.  (I own and
have shot these, as well as later ones- of both brands)

1970s to date:  Leica lenses continue to improve.  Mechanical
quality stays high -- performance improves -- durability of
glass/coating MUCH improved (thank goodness)  Nikon starts
cutting mechanical quality with the AI lenses -- all time low
comes with early AF stuff -- it was hideous -- glass improves
slightly, not as much as Leica.  Yes, I've owned/repaired most
of these vintages of optics.

high, Nikon tapers off in improvements and mechanical goes to
shit.

Now the kicker (the "filter" issue):
I'm going to make an assertion that MOST working photographers
DO NOT use Leica M for it's optical quality.  They assume and
accept that the quality is extremely high, an overkill, BUT
they use the camera for OTHER reasons.  Light/small/accuracy
of focus in dark/with W.A. lenses/hand-holdability at slower
speeds/inconspicuousness/etc --These are the reasons I hear
for using the M-s (and are my reasons) We accept that the
optics are "among" the finest in the world (depending on the
lens/f-stop/etc)  BUT we USE the camera for >OTHER< reasons!!

Most of us agree that the quality of most lenses, filter or
no filter, Nikon or Leica, 1960s-Date, are an overkill for
shooting with Tri-x or Fujicolor etc.  For us, the sky filter
is worth having so we can clean our lenses less often and not
worry about salt spray/sand/etc. abrading the surface. In fact,
after dropping my 35 1.4  (in a quiet courtroom, no less) and
denting the front ring, I'd say that the filter is worth it
just to protect the front flange!  I also feel better wiping
rain or dirt off the UV filter with my dirty golf shirt!!

As I stated before, when I go to a national park with plenty
of time and shoot with a tripod and slow film, I remove the
filter to get that "Leica" edge (or Nikon, for that matter)
But for day to day "reportage", I'll keep my UV-s, thanks!

Sorry for the long post, but I think it has some sanity/merit.

What say?

thanks,
Walt in Denton, Tx.