Subject: Re: [Leica] To Filter or Not?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:55:24 -0600

>Years ago I "threw" an M-4/ 35mm summicron in my car --
>it hit something and took out the filter --I removed
>the broken filter -- cleaned out the glass - no damage to
>the lens (been using that lens 18 years....)  Makes one
>a believer in filters!!!

Well, let me tell you my sob story from the other side.

I dropped my 180 Elmarit, and the filter shattered. One shard turned itself
inward, and gouged the front element. Though that one mark on the front
didn't seem to cause much problem, except when the sun was in the picture
(more than normal "ghosts") I never got over it as long as I owned that
lens. Regretted using filters when they weren't needed.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot