Subject: Re: [Leica] To Filter or Not?
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 06:49:45 -0600 (CST)

I use my Leicas for different types of photography.  For
daily, journalistic shooting, I use quality skylight filters
on all lenses.  Hell yes it degrades the quality......
who cares on TX or 400 CN?

For my "static" photography, where I strive for "view camera"
35mm quality, I take 'em off - only while shooting.
NO ONE using the cameras out of a bag can concentrate on shooting
and deal with lens caps -- I leave the hoods/filters on and
drop the lenses in the bag lensmount down. (padded bottom,
of course)

Years ago I "threw" an M-4/ 35mm summicron in my car --
it hit something and took out the filter --I removed
the broken filter -- cleaned out the glass - no damage to
the lens (been using that lens 18 years....)  Makes one
a believer in filters!!!

Before you say anything about camera abuse, quit your 80K
job and work out of your car a couple year making ends meet-
it takes a beating (you, the car, the cameras)

But when you go to Zion or Yosemite and shoot at your own
pace, take the damn filter off before the exposure --
it matters on K25 or Fujicolor 100(at 50) or pan-F.....

Take reasonable care of this junk and it'll outlive your kids....

Thanks, Walt