Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Archive search engine
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:00:02 -0700

Eric and others,

We should all be aware that anything we say on this or any other list is
public and may be recorded on some data base somewhere forever.

Some employers are now known to check out current and prospective employees
on Deja news etc. to see what their opinions may be one many different
topics. If you have ever posted to a newsgroup - nice or naughty - it is
probably on there.

If you ever find yourself "in the news", there is a good chance a journalist
may check to see what you have said in the past on the internet. Like it or
not, it is out there in public (and I personally happen to think there are
some big problems with invasion of privacy and dissemination of personal
information on the internet - the trouble is that we tend to make
assumptions about what is "private" - etiquette doesn't usually seem to come
into it).

Just remember, if you wouldn't want to write it on a postcard to your mom,
don't put it on the internet - in fact, be careful about even e-mailing it
"privately".

(those of you in Canada will be aware of the recent CBC/APEC Inquiry Terry
Milewski case!).

 Tim A