Subject: [Leica] 50 mm Summicron-R or 60mm Macro Elmarit-R?
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:11:07 -0600

James, I own both of these lenses, and prefer the Macro Elmarit.  It is one
of the sharpest lenses I own, and is superb from f 2.8 to f 22!  Resolution
is well above 80 line pairs per mm across the image field, both sagital and
tangential, from f 2.8 to f 11.  It is also superior at f 16-22 to the 100mm
f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit-R lens.  It is also very contrasty.  Leica states
that their non Apo macro lenses perform on the same level at long distances
as the normal lenses at f 5.6 and smaller.  I have not seen any difference
at longer distances at f2.8 and f 4.  I think that the macro is superior to
the Summicron at every aperture (except f 2, of course!).   The disadvantage
of the Macro is that it is heavier, does not balance as well on the R series
cameras, and is not as fast.  The Summicron balances very well on the R
series cameras. The advantage of the Macro is superior image quality, and
the advantage of being able to focus down to 1/2 life size.  The speed of
the Summicron has never been a selling point for me.  In 30 years of
shooting with a Summicron, I  can only remember using the f 2 aperture three
times!

I bought the Macro Elmarit because it was such a good deal.  I did not try
it for a while, but when I did I was extremely pleased with the results.
The slides I took with it popped off of the screen.  I am always bemused
that Leica has not publicized this lens like it has others in it stable.
It's a shame, because it is a fabulous performer.

I suggest that you try both of these lenses, and decide for yourself.