Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Minilux (WAS: Leica bashing)
From: Malcolm McCullough <>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:00:41 +0800

I have been using a non-zoom Minilux for five or six months - with Agfa
RSX50 at first, then the excellent Kodak E200. I have been very pleased
with the results, especially in back-lighting. I think the lens produces
something of the Leica look - in fact I mistook one box of E200 to have
been taken with the M6. Of all my compacts (Yashica T5, Rollei 35, 35T,
35S, Minox 35something) I  rate the Minilux as top of the heap, equal to
the Rollei 35S. Honest!
My only two niggles are the number of times I have to press the mode button
to get to Flash Off and the ease with which you can make accidental
exposures. Oh. and I guess the inability to hear the thing go off in even
moderate levels of background noise and moderate levels of inebriation (too
much Rodinal  with Selenium toner chasers - I can't afford beer in
Singapore)...maybe the flash has a use after all. Umm, among my niggles are
the above AND the impracticality of mounting a lens hood or colour
correction filter. Yes it can be done, and yes, I will get round to asking
SRB to make a push-on adapter for 40.5 filters, but it will be a pain to
have to keep removing the thing when switching off the camera. That's no
different from the old Autorange 820 though. That was too damned quiet as

Malcolm McCullough