Subject: Re: [Leica] How to accentuate the positive?
From: "Derek Zeanah" <derek@thedkgallery.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 06:11:38 -0500

> > Is there an easy solution to this problem?  There was, about 10 years ago,
> > a Tamron gadget called something like Fotovix which connected to your TV
> > and immediately converted colour or black and white negatives into
> > positives.  >>
>
>Latest B&H book lists the Fotovix III-S at 499.00, as well as the Fujix FV-7.
>Both will do what you are looking for but you will need another device if you
>want to put the pictures on the pc, both have vcr outputs only according to
>the specs in the book.

I'm using a Fotovix (the kind that scans 35mm and 2.25" film) with my pc.  You'll need some sort of video input card -- a Snappy won't do very well.  I opted for the $250 card that the Montage techs recommended -- I'll dig up the info if you're really interested.  For your purposes, I would suggest using the Fotovix with a TV instead of a PC.  The effect is _much_ nicer, and it tells you a lot more about the image.

As far as using the device for looking at old negs on a TV: I think you'll like the effect a lot, but it's a lot easier to scan uncut rolls than to run 5-neg strips through the machine.  If everything was already sleeved, I'd probably get it contact-printed.