Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 and water world
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:20:49 -0800

Greg Locke wrote:

<<<<<<Noting that the M6 seldom needs service unless dropped or dunked I
>ask for specifics. I live and work on a rock in the N. Atlantic ocean.
>About half my work is on ships and offshore oil rigs.  As those who know
>Newfoundland will attest, it is a cold wet environment.

>Are there any other pro's or users out there who work in a marine
>environment and just how "delicate" is the M6 to splash or rain?>>>>>>>

Greg,

I've had mine rained, snowed and "shit on" courtesy of a big cow last year
and I've never had any problem with "liquid of any form" unless it was the
internal liquid of single malt scotch. :)

My experience has been very excellent with my M6's since I bought them in
'85, as they have been subjected to almost every kind of environment you
can imagine other than outer space.

My biggest concern is always working at sea or where there is the
possiblity of a real salt water soaking, but then nearly every camera is
subject to salt damage other than the "water camera's."

I think it comes down to common sense of always trying to keep them
protected as much as possible where you are working in a lousy weather
situation. Of course all the folks who have had the pleasure of visiting
Newfoundland know that you have the "nicest weather in North America!" :)
And it hardly ever gets cold or wet there. July or January!:)

Well OK I had taken on a fair load of over proof rum on the occaisions I
visited your fair shores and I didn't feel anything from the weather.:)

ted