Subject: [Leica] Kodachrome & Test report
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 07:59:41 -0600

At 10:29 PM 14/11/98 -0500, Erwin wrote:
>How to make sure we can exploit the awesome capabilities of modern<<
>>>Leica lenses; Kodachrome is part of the answer<<

A few years ago Kodak announced a new, smaller processor, which they hoped
would become widespread, allowing more convenient processing of Kodachrome
films.  The last batch of Kodachrome that I purchased has prepaid
processing, but it is not available in the US.  The exposed film has to be
sent to Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Spain, France, Italy,
Holland, or Greece.  That's fine if you live in one of those countries,
where you might be able to get film processed within a few days, but in my
case I have to ship it overseas (and pay the extra return shipping charges
for overseas mail) and wait several weeks or longer to get the film back.
   This is the main drawback to using Kodachrome for me.  Back in the early
80's K25 and especially K64 were the main slide films I used.  Besides the
natural colours and sharpness, the slides also "keep" well, without showing
signs of fading or colour shifts.  I wish it were more practical to
continue using this film.  Sometimes I just can't afford to wait so long to
get processed film back.  I need it right away.  So much for the Kodachrome
... out comes something that will allow me or a local lab to use E6
processing.
   Neil Simon should have sang his "Momma don't take my Kodachrome away" in
a minor key.

 _
[o] -GH