Subject: Re: [Leica] Aerial photography
From: "Silvia U. LuDo" <ohgeorg@mozcom.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 18:35:31 +0800

>Thanks for the report.
>I guess such assignment would be much easier with e.g. a Nikon F5 and the
>new 80-200/2.8  AF-S zoom lens than with a Leica R8 plus Vario-Apo
>70-180/2.8. The optical advantage of the latter would almost certainly be
>lost due to focusing troubles. I can imagine it is hard (not to say
>virtually impossible) to do such job with manual lenses, especially two
>ring zooms like the Leica one. The rate of successful pictures would
>probably be much higher with an AF system than with a manual system.
>
>Pascal

I'd have to agree on this since a friend who does aerial photography (ultra
light) uses a Nikon N90S with a 24-120 lens-- he got some amazing results
with it!! He feels that this is the best combo since the N90 is light and
the 24-120 covers quite an area!! BTW- he is one of Philippines best aerial
photography! (he charges $5K-$10K per assignment).

Asked if he would like to use a manual camera-he said, not in a million
years. Things go so fast in the air he'll be missing alot and its difficult
to turn back around to shoot things again !!

regards

Ferdinand