Subject: Re: [Leica] New Vario-Elmarit-R 35-70 f2.8 Asph. macro setting
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 22:34:26 -0800

Nigel wrote:

>I'm not sure the Leica lenses would perform with such a fast motor drive.
> A good friend and fellow pro finally sold all his Leica reflex
>(R7-vintage) equipment after discovering that his motor-driven exposures
>(and only those) in the mid and small apertures were erratic, evidently
>due to the auto diaphragms not always keeping up with the motor speed.

Hi Nigel,

Never seen that in any of the motor driven Leicaflexes or R cameras, lens
I've owned. And I've hammered a bunch of them, usually three or four at the
same time and all motor driven. Not winders! In many cases just finger down
and motor whining with apertures closing and opening.

>This was a problem with each of his six lenses to a greater or lesser
>degree, and they were all purchased new and still in mint condition.  He
>had sent everything back to Kindermann and they said everything was up to
>specification.>>>>>>>

Sure sounds like a strange one to me and the very first time I've heard of
anything like it. I'm almost of a mind to say "I'm from Missouri and want
to test it myself!" However I wont, as I'd be in Eric's territory! :) :)

<<<<<<After borrowing an EOS1nRS and similar focal length lenses and
shooting them side-by-side with his Leicas on PKR and finding them as good
(in a few instances, better) he switched over.>>>>>>>>

Gee that bad eh? :)  Pity! :)

<<<<<Apparently the electronic diaphragm in the EOS system is more reliable
with fast motor drive speeds; however, even my oldest Nikkors on MD4's, F4s
or F5
have never given me the uneven results my colleague had with his Leicas.>>>>>>

I just wondered? Did you actually see rolls laid out frame after frame? As
that would be something I'd like to see for the variations you are telling
us. As I said, I've never heard of nor had the kind of experience you are
speaking of, but it's certainly something very interesting.

>I was astounded, because I have several other friends who use motor-driven
>Leicas, but I discovered that they were shooting the majority at maximum
>aperture or at most one or two stops down.>>>>>>>

Although I promote using the widest possible apertures and highest possible
shutter speeds at all times when a great amount of depth isn't required, I
do quite often shoot all over the aperture ring from wide open to 22 or
whatever the last numbers are. So I find this phenomenon rather
interesting. Maybe other Leica LUG folks have had the same experience or
have heard of it.

We shall see.

ted