Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica bashing
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 19:50:21 -0600 (CST)

Well, I found the article summary amusing, but not offensive.
I have loved Leica Ms since I picked one up at a workshop when
I was 18.  Instantly had to have one!  Poor country boy, second
generation American citizen, selling every thing and scraping to
buy a camera that his family never heard of, the first of
a dozen to come!!  Never warmed up to the R stuff, tried two
different times, love the lenses, bodies just another electronic
Japanese whiz bang -- Not that that's bad, but I get the same
Mojo from Nikon. (No, I don't CARE where they are made, they still
have the same lack of magic for ME) Use 'em if you like 'em!

What I find amusing AND sometimes offensive is that certain groups
of people (and professions) will MAKE themselves acutely visible
by their choice of possesions and THEN become highly indignant
when others state their opinions.  Leica owners (many) fall in BOTH
groups!!!  The high-end audio analogies are appropriate (spent 15
years with a foot in both camps) because the owners of said equipment
share these traits!!  Unwilling to tolerate dissenting views and
criticisms.

Magazine bash everything. For every review praising an item, there
are two bashing the same item for the same reason.  When you make
YOUR ownership of a particular item (Mcintosh, Leica, Mercedes)
a part of "self", rather than a fine product selected to fullfill a
purpose, you invite both serious criticism and tounge in cheek
poking (r.e. Dirck Halstead's recent fiasco article!)  Do the crime,
Do the time!!

I've been attacked by Collins radio owners for criticizing ANOTHER
Collins owner!!  Just like a fraternity or "professional" organization!
(I dislike both, obviously)

There is another way.  Guitar players prefer either vintage or
newer instruments and amplifiers.  There is a healthy, sometimes
heated bunch of banter (and some personal attacks thrown in for
good measure) about the subject on the newsgroups and reflectors.
BUT IT IS ALL IN GOOD HUMOR!!!  Unlike the "you can't say that about
me/him " they rip it up and take it like a man.  BTW, if you're
unaware, the prices of vintage instruments can make that "minty"
black M-4 look like pawn shop junk.   Unlike cameras, where the
$200,000 per years professional is driving the market, and the
$40,000 manager is complaining, you're competing for equipment
with people who make MILLIONS per year.  The average guitar
worth owning costs about what a clean M-6 brings today.

I use Leica because I love high-end rangefinders.  I long for the
day of an updated Nikon SP and lenses for half the price.  AND,
I occasionally take jabs from peers or strangers about my
photographic "jewelry" -- and it rolls off like water off a duck's
back.  Any magazine writer worth his salt has to see the spectacle
that Leica owners make of themselves, and report accordingly!!
People claiming that there is a clear photographic advantage
to Leica while looking at Fuji 400 prints FROM A LAB (God forbid)
And I have worked for said labs!!

It's like being upset because Stereo Review just doesn't
"get it" when reviewing a $2000, 1998 phono cartridge!! Think of
what NORMAL people would think of that!!!  As I used to tell
people about audio,  buy it because you LIKE it -- you'll NEVER
be able to pick it in a double blind test, nor will your "normal"
family and friends EVER understand it.

I love cameras.  I love photography.  UNFORTUNATLY for me, I fear
that it is in that order.  I'm trying to find some pills that
can help with this problem.  I think I may be failing, though,
'cause I've 'bout got my doctor talked into buying a Leica.

Shoot 'em if you want, fondle 'em if you don't,
Walt