Subject: Re: [Leica] Pros and Leica sales! was vanc.
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:23:20 +0100

Greg Locke wrote:

> The only time I have seen a Leica used in a photojournalism theme
> was in a cigarette ad for "News International" (? European?).
> It was a couple of M3's worn by a "handsome" gentleman,
> dressed for desert warfare, with his local guides.
>
> The "image" is important....

Greg,

I kept four of those ads. Two of there were made in Upernavik,
North Groenland, one in Djebel Haraz, North Yemen and
one in Mount Tamgak, South Sahara.
The "journalist" had a chrome M3 (1st strap lugs) with what look
like a Elmar 50/2,8 and Leicameter.
They were published end of 1985.
What is funny is that I bought my first Leica M exactly
during that period. But I still don't smoke.  ;-)
(There was no cigarette on the photograph.)
I'm sure those ads had an impact on me, I'm afraid.
Certainly much more than all the Leica ads since that time.
:-(

Lucien