Subject: [Leica] Helicopter R3?
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 00:04:54 -0800

The aerial photography from the Coast Guard helicopters is starting to wrap
up - maybe a couple more flights. Now I am setting up for fixed wing flying
with the cameras mounted in the tail of a Cessna 210.

With the Hasselblad images covering a limited field, (which mostly of is
just lots of trees), the map interpreters can't always place my photo image
exactly on the larger satellite map. So they would like a wide angle shot
on 35mm film taken straight down at the same time as the Hassey stereo
pair.

I have a Leica SL and SL2 along with a 50mm Summicron and a fish-eye
attachment that goes on the front of the lens. Obviously, we're not talking
Leica quality in the fish-eye, but mostly the map readers need to just make
out ridge lines, streams, and other large landmarks to help place the
stereo images. The Hassey image would be in the middle of the wide 35mm
fish-eye shot taken at the same time.

So. . . would an R3 with winder do a decent job? Concerns are:

	- Cold temperatures in the air, perhaps down to 10 degrees F.
	- Ability to run a 15 foot shutter release from the cockpit back to the R3
(or is there some kind of an electronic release?)

	- General reliability of the R3/winder combination, especially hanging out
in the wind at up to 160mph?

I could probably get by with some other winder camera, but when the aerial
work is done, a spare R camera would be a bonus for me.
Since I already spent the budget on Hasselblads, I am trying to keep costs
down. R3's seem to be the most affordable used Leica R camera (anybody have
one with a winder for sale?).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this somewhat unusual application? Thanks
for any ideas.

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger