Subject: Re: [Leica] Optic Names
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:14:52 -0800

RM wrote:
>If Leica was made in Korea on a Leitz Line, by Little Germans and no one
>but Leitz people run the line, the lenses will be viewed differently, and
>some will not buy them because who wants a serious Leicaflex built in
>Korea.>>>>

Hi RM,

well that same stupid logic persists today about Leica/Leitz products that
were and are still being made in Canada by Canadians (some naturalized
German's") and born Canadian's.

We even see it here on the LUG when there is a distinction made .....""I
have the Canadian made version!" etc.... as though it were made by
backwoods Neanderthals and not technicians equal to those in Wetzlar or
Solms.

A point in case, "The Noctilux was designed and made in Canada!"... Many
Leica buyers/users don't know that fact. Therefore, when they find out,
does that make it a less worthy lens than Noctilux's being assembled in
Solms today?

Some Leica oriented people are so hung-up on "the German made version" of
Leica equipment, that unless it is stamped made in Germany or Wetzlar or
Solms, it can't possibly be as good as that made in Canada, Portugal or
wherever. And yet today, we constantly hear complaints and questions about
quality control on German made equipment these days.

So I can never understand the so called "it's better made because it's made
in Germany!" instead of, using your analogy, "made in Korea on a Leitz
Line, by Little Germans and no one but Leitz people run the line"   making
it an inferior product.

At least you and I know that Leica gear made here in Canada, Portugal,
Solms or Japan are equal!

I know I'll get challenged to death on this, but you know what?  I really
don't care as I've got lenses and body parts made all over the place and
they "work wonders" for my pictures and as long as that happens I don't
care if they are made on the dark side of the moon and the Shuttle brings
them back on each trip!

ted