Subject: [Leica] Off Topic: ER doctors and charges
From: "Ernest Nitka" <eenitka@axess.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 08:40:14 -0500

As a physician i have read with interest the mini-thread about the $450
charge to a LUGer.  Several have responded with excellent insight - things
are expensive in this country and that is just the way it is.  I think
clearly the litiginous society that we live in contributes to this - I have
also come to the heretical conclusion that some amount of worry about law
suits is probably no so bad (hope no one from the AMA is monitoring).  What
I mean by this is that each and every one of us when we go to the doctor,
lawyer, architect, etc want to be treated with respect and to be listened
to.  When we aren't we sue.  Some low level concern about being sued i
believe keeps most of us more on our toes and a little more humble.  The
problem is that a good thing has been taken to extremes.

Also one thing to keep in mind is that many professionals don't hand over a
tangible product to a client and this often leads to being disparaged.  As a
physician all I have to offer to patients in return for their $ is: time,
integrity and experience and that's it.  Patient's can't grab onto and take
home time, integrity or experience although hopefully they realize that they
have been in the presence of those qualities.

Now to add one last twist ( and to use the 'L' word at least once in this
missive) I am recently able to afford Leica because I have taken on a
consulting job to review charges of my "peers" who have egregiously
overcharged!!??

Ernie