Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: B&W technique - Rodinal
From: Robert Farr <rfarr@voyager.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:27:07 -0600

Dan Post wrote:

> Robert-
> Generally speaking, and like all generalities, there are exceptions! So, in
> general terms, a compensating developer is one that can compensate for under
> exposure and overdevelopment which can lead to high contrast.

** snip extensive and VERY helpfull response ****

Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such a thorough and helpful
response. This makes perfect sense now.  I think I'll take your advice and stick
with the films and developers I know, but try to use them in a "compensating"
way to see what kind of results I get.

I've been using D76 1:1 for 11 min at 70 degF with Tmax. I'll try the method
you've described (dump dev, add water, wait). Have you tried D76 directly in any
other higher dilutions, say, 20:1?

As for my "eye"... well, its a good thing photography doesn't feed me, because
I'd starve :) It's still fun.

Thanks again for the help.

Robert Farr
rfarr@voyager.net